- In 1970, Commissioners on Uniform State Laws approved the Uniform Marriage and Divorce Act (UMDA).
- It is the cornerstone of the no-fault divorce law prevalent in most states.
- At the time, there was no major push by policymakers for this legislation.
- Included the concept of Best Interests of Child (BIOC)
- Court may order either or both parents to pay an amount reasonable or necessary for his support, without regard to martial misconduct, after considering all relevant factors including:
1. Financial resources of the child
2. Financial resources of the custodial parent.
3. In part on the standard of living child would have enjoyed had marriage not been dissolved.
4. Physical and emotional condition of child and his educational needs 5. Financial resources and needs of the non-custodial parent.
- A good article is here