- The Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982, also known as Public Law#97-248, was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on September 3, 1982.
- Codified as 26 U.S.C. §§ 6221 – 6241
- Bill information
- Key points of the legislation included:
- Non-AFDC collection fee was optional, retroactive to 1981.
- States were able to collect spousal support in Non-AFDC cases
- Military people were mandated to withdrawal from their paychecks when delinquent
DSHS Economic Services Administration, ESA Briefing Book State Fiscal Year 2015, Appendix 7, Child Support Federal Legislative History, p. A7-4
Solomon-Fears, Carmen, The Child Support Enforcement Program: A Legislative History, March 21, 2016, p. 15.